One of my favorite dancers, Kadeem Hosein (known as Kadeem En Pointe), has recently announced a second live / live-stream show. It’s a re-imaginging of Act II of Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker entitled "A World of Our Own." (For a review of Kadeem’s first show, "All the World’s a Stage," click here.)
Following is Kadeem’s description of his December 19 show, along with his reasoning for encouraging folks to buy their ticket early.
I want to explain why booking early for my next show genuinely matters to me. My mission with everything I’m doing is to make ballet more accessible – financially, physically and emotionally.
I want to reach people who may never have seen a ballet before. People who have never felt represented or welcomed within ballet. People who love the art form but can’t easily get to a theatre because of where they live, accessibility, travel or cost.
That is a huge part of why I’m putting on this production in December. The Nutcracker is known around the world by even those who don't know ballet. This is an opportunity to really get the art form I love in front of so many people in a fresh (and hopefully exciting!) way.
For the in-person performance, I’ve deliberately priced 60% of the theatre at just £25 because I want a significant part of the auditorium to remain genuinely affordable.
The difficult reality is that, by doing that, even a completely sold-out theatre would only recoup around 35% of the planned production budget.
That means the livestream is an enormous part of making this possible.
The livestream this time isn’t an afterthought. It is central to what I’m trying to build. It means somebody thousands of miles away can experience the production at the same time as somebody sitting in the theatre, or even catch up for 14 days after if they can’t watch live but still want to be a part of this.
But because this is independently produced, many of the costs have to be committed to months before I know how many people will ultimately watch.
That’s why when you book matters almost as much as whether you book.
If you know you want to watch the performance, it would make an extraordinary difference to how much progress I could make towards funding the production if you booked right now.
It would give me the confidence to keep moving forward with not just this show but with what comes after it. More productions. More opportunities for artists. More accessible tickets. And perhaps, eventually, the opportunity to take this work to audiences in other cities and countries too.
So if you already know you’re going to watch, either on YouTube from anywhere in the world or with us at the theatre in London, I would be incredibly grateful if you booked early.
And I mean what I say about accessibility. If you genuinely want to watch the livestream but the ticket price is currently beyond what you can afford, please send me an email. I don’t want finances to be the reason somebody who wants to experience the production has to miss it.
Every booking helps me prove that there is an audience for a different way of making ballet – one that can be ambitious but still fairly priced and accessible at the same time.
I really hope we can keep building that together! ❤
Kadeem
Are you interested in supporting Kadeem beyond purchasing a ticket to his new show?
Well, one way to do so is by purchasing a copy of his most recent creative project. I’ll let Kadeem say more . . .
My new coffee table book The Pointe Of Passion is now available for you to have in your home. I hope that this book can serve as a reminder of perseverance and passion and can maybe insipire at least one person to find their passion – whatever that might be 🖤
Trust me, it’s a beautiful publication. My copy arrived in the mail just last week!
Here’s more about the book from Kadeem's website:
The Pointe of Passion is the first true photographic archive curated by Kadeem En Pointe, bringing together more than a decade of images captured in locations around the world. It is printed as a premium 98 page, 8 × 10 inch hardback coffee table book.
From the earliest photographs en pointe in public to the work being created today, this coffee table book traces an artistic journey through pointe shoes, tutus, public spaces and more. Alongside already shared images are never-before-seen photographs, offering an intimate look at the evolution of a project that has challenged perceptions of who ballet is for.
More than a collection of photographs, The Pointe of Passion is an exploration of becoming. It asks who ballet has traditionally made room for and what becomes possible when those boundaries begin to shift. It is a celebration of passion and the belief that beauty can be found and created in the most unexpected places.
Unlike many coffee table books, The Pointe of Passion has been published entirely independently. Every stage of its creation – from curating the archive to designing, printing and fulfilling each order – is funded and managed by Kadeem, allowing the project to remain true to the vision that has guided it from the very beginning. Every purchase directly supports the continued creation of independent ballet projects that seek to make the art form more accessible.
Signature and personalisation will be added to the first blank page on the inside, unless otherwise requested.
Click here to purchase The Pointe of Passion.
Related Off-site Links:
Kadeem’s Official Website
“Being a Ballet Dancer Is Years of Hard Work, But It’s All Worth It” Says Kadeem En Pointe – Stuart Norval (France 24, February 26, 2026).
Men en Pointe: Ballet Dancers Kick Against Gender Stereotypes – Matilda Martin (The Guardian, March 10, 2021).
For previous posts about Kadeem and his artistry, see:
• Kadeem
• A Message in Dance That Challenges, Inspires and Liberates
• Kadeem En Pointe: Finding Freedom in Dance
• A Mesmerizing Performance
See also the following dance-related Wild Reed posts:
• The Soul of a Dancer
• The Trouble with the Male Dancer – Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
• Dancer Calvin Royal III: Stepping Into His Light
• The Premise of All Forms of Dance
• The Art of Dancing as the Supreme Symbol of the Spiritual Life
• The Power of Dance
• “Then I Shall Leap Into Love”
• Love’s the Only Dance
• We All Dance
• Not Whether We Dance, But How
• The Dance of Life
• And As We Dance . . .
• Our Dance
• “I Came Alive With Hope”
• Finding Balance in the Presence of the Beloved
• Our Bodies Are Part of the Cosmos
• Flexibility and Flow
• Move Us, Loving God
• A Prayer for Dancers
• Trusting the Flow
• Aristotle Papanikolaou on How Being Religious Is Like Being a Dancer
Image: Photo by @mandyleft




No comments:
Post a Comment