Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Young Person's Perspective on the Election of Barack Obama


My young friend Joey recently shared with me the “Election 2008 Reflection” he wrote for a school project.

I find much hope in the words of this 12-year-old who is so aware and articulate. Perhaps you will too.

_____________________________________


I think it is so amazing and so wonderful that Obama won the presidency. It’s just that all throughout history in America we have never elected a black president or anyone for that matter who is not in the category of white men who have been oppressing so many people throughout history through slavery and racism. I just can’t believe that it has taken people so long to realize that no matter what color, no matter what gender, no matter what religion, straight or gay, it doesn’t matter. We are all people, aren’t we? But last night I saw on the television that Barack Obama had won the spot of the 44th President of the United States of America, and I just thought to myself: this is change; that we as the people of America can change. And that we will change from this awful past we have had. I just hope this is a milestone for America and for the world, that there can be people from more different races elected for president and for senate.


See also the previous Wild Reed post:
“Change Has Come to America”
The Challenge for Progressives with an Obama Presidency


NOTE: Regular readers may remember that in August I accompanied Joey and his Mum on a road trip to St. Louis (an adventure that is documented in a series of Wild Reed posts starting here.) Also, in March of this year I accompanied Joey and his classmates on their school’s annual sixth grade Environmental Studies trip to Camp Widjiwagan, situated on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northeastern Minnesota. (Images from this great experience in the Northwoods can be viewed here.)

No comments: