President Trump’s executive order merely replaces one inhumane act with another. In response to the overwhelming public outrage at his administration’s policy of tearing children away from their parents at the border, this administration thinks the appropriate response is to indefinitely detain families. This executive order is an affront to our moral values and runs afoul of our nation’s laws. When you have the most powerful nation on earth saying that it is acceptable to detain families indefinitely, you are sending a signal to countries around the world that this is how they can treat immigrants and minorities. I am hopeful that, as we have seen with other racist and xenophobic Trump policies, the courts will step in to rein in these unlawful actions.
– Senator Bernie Sanders
June 20, 2018
June 20, 2018
Related Off-site Links:
Trump Reverses Course, Signs Order Ending Family Separations on Southern Border – John Wagner, Nick Miroff and Mike DeBonis (The Washington Post, June 20, 2018).
Trump Ends Family Separations — by Locking Kids Up With Their Parents Instead – The Editorial Board (The Los Angeles Times, June 20, 2018).
Trump Administration Still Plans to Criminalize Families — Including Children – Richard Cohen (Southern Poverty Law Center, June 20, 2018).
Trump Order Ending Family Separation Likely Won’t Apply to Children Already Taken From Parents – Antonia Blumberg (The Huffington Post, June 20, 2018).
See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
• Opposing the Trump Administration's Inhumane Treatment of Immigrant Families
• Something to Think About – June 20, 2018
• Jeremy Scahill on the Historical Context of the Trump Administration's "Pathologically Sick" Anti-Immigrant Agenda
• Something to Think About – June 14, 2018
• On International Human Rights Day, Saying "No" to Donald Trump and His Fascist Agenda
• Quote of the Day – March 12, 2018
• 2000+ Take to the Streets of Minneapolis to Express Solidarity with Immigrants and Refugees
• Trump's America: Normalized White Supremacy and a Rising Tide of Racist Violence
• Hope, History and Bernie Sanders
Image: Sen. Bernie Sanders. (Photographer unknown)