This spring as it comes bursts up in bonfires green,
Wild puffing of emerald trees, and flame-filled bushes,
Thorn-blossom lifting in wreaths of smoke between
Where the wood fumes up and the watery, flickering rushes.
I am amazed at this spring, this conflagration
Of green fires lit on the soil of the earth, this blaze
Of growing, and sparks that puff in wild gyration,
Faces of people streaming across my gaze.
And I, what fountain of fire am I among
This leaping combustion of spring? My spirit is tossed
About like a shadow buffeted in the throng
Of flames, a shadow that's gone astray, and is lost.
See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
• Photo of the Day – April 13, 2016
• Let the Greening Begin
• Springtime by the Creek
• A Springtime Walk Along Minnehaha Creek
• Dreaming of Spring
• Photo of the Day – April 15, 2015
• Photo of the Day – May 6, 2014
• Photo of the Day – April 25, 2011
• Spring in Minnesota
• In the Footsteps of Spring
Images: Michael J. Bayly, April 2016.