Thursday, March 19, 2009

Joseph of Dreams


With today being the feast of St. Joseph, I share the following poem written by Alice Smith, CSJ.


Joseph of Dreams

Joseph of Dreams, guard well the poor.
Be a strong bar upon the door.
Be a broad window all day long
to let in sun and wild bird song.

Set a new loaf upon the board
to fill the poor one’s scanty hoard.
With strength and patience bless the lives
of all poor men and all poor wives.

Listen to their children call
when they are cold and tired and small.
Stir up the fire and keep it bright
on all their hearths at fall of night.

Build a dry roof above the heads
of poor folk dreaming in their beds.
Bring peace to all poor souls who lie
afraid and lonely when they die.

Joseph of dreams, in that last hour,
be a great light. Be a strong tower.

Alice Smith, CSJ
1899-1987


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Road Trip to St. Louis - Part 5: Carondelet
Beginning the Process
Reflections on Associate/Consociate Programs by Joan Chittister
Making My Consociate Commitment
Gunnedah (Part II)


Image: “St. Joseph” by Dony MacManus.

2 comments:

Christian said...

Very nice

Davis said...

I hope you don't mind that I have added your blog to my links. Let me know if this is a problem for you, but I admire your blog a great deal.