Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Hiatus


I'm currently in the last week of my chaplain residency at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis. Next Tuesday I take up the position of Palliative Care Chaplain at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids.

There are also some other changes in my life that are in process, so it's a rather momentous time for me.

Accordingly, I'll be taking a break from blogging here at The Wild Reed for about a month or so, maybe longer.

Basically, I'll be working on getting my grounding in my new role and position. I also intend to seek grounding and balance in my life in general – an endeavor that will involve spending as much time as I can in nature, under open skies and by flowing waters, in these last weeks of summer.

I also want to take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate everyone who takes the time to visit this blog. Thank you for your support of me and of what I seek to create here: a journal of my thoughts and interests that (hopefully) serve as invitations and opportunities for deeper understanding and the transformation of hearts and minds, making for a world of compassion, beauty, and justice.

Michael



Sitting on your bank, in touch with all I see
You rise and you fall,
Bringing life so perfectly
River running free, lay your wisdom down on me

Journey goes on
What I wouldn't do to run beside you now
Rolling on, skipping over pools of light,
Even through the darkest night
River running bright, lay your wisdom down tonight

River, river
Flowing when the world was young
Nothing new under the sun
I'm calling to a sweeter sound
Come on and lay your wisdom down
Lay your wisdom down.



See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Now Is the Time
The Prayer Tree
Interfaith Chaplaincy: Meeting People Where They're At
Chaplaincy: A Ministry of Welcome
Spirituality and the Health Care Setting
Seeking Balance
Hiatus (2013)

Images: Michael J. Bayly.


28 comments:

Randi Reitan said...

Congratulations on completing your program and the new job. You will be a wonderful chaplain.

Angela Cotta said...

Michael! This is phenomenal news, and I am so excited for you!

Brent Vanderlinden said...

Congratulations, Michael! They are very lucky and blessed to have you!

Kate Kline said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news!

Amy Danzeisen said...

So cool! I think I will copy your goal of spending lots of time outside in the beauty of nature in the next few weeks too.

Simeon Mokaya Momanyi said...

Congratulations, my friend Michael. God bless your work at Mercy Hospital.

Nathanial Bishop said...

This is wonderful news, Michael. Congratulations on your new adventure. All the best.

Joseph Palacios said...

The very best to you, Michael. You will bring great grace and peace to those in your care.

Jackie Lannin said...

What a great place to be on your journey! Just the beginning.

Angie Power Cline said...

Congratulations, my friend. . . . Mercy Hospital is gaining a phenomenal Chaplain. . . . We were so blessed you were at Abbott when you were, as we don't normally use Abbott as our main hospital. . . . You will be a Blessing to all you meet.

Franco Manni said...

Thank you for your blog , which I have been reading for years because of the wide range of your interests and the balanced and passionate way whereby you present the topics. Come back soon!

Carol said...

Thank you for sharing this news and inspiration — blessings always! Carol

John Bungert Jr. said...

Congratulations! All the best to you in your new position, Michael.

Joan Cushing Olson said...

Congratulations, Michael! Mercy is incredibly blessed to have you on their staff! Blessings as you rest and reconnect with yourself.

Mary Lynn Murphy said...

This is good news, Michael. Hope you find this job to be a good fit. They are lucky to have you.

Rose McMurray said...

Wonderful news, Michael. Congratulations and wishing you much luck as you go forward.

Denise Dunbar-Perkins said...

Well deserved, Michael. Mercy will be blessed by your presence. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new adventure! I can't wait to hear about the new job soon! ;)

Unknown said...

Michael, I am so grateful that you will have this opportunity to shepherd folks home. Know my love and support. Patricia Hughes Baumer


Unknown said...

Congratulations Michael. Have an enlightening and serene transition, with a healthy dose of fun! You deserve it, and I look forward to hearing more from you when you're called back to share.

Anonymous said...

Michael - Congratulations and best wishes. Thank you for your blog which is so inspirational. I look forward to future offerings.

Unknown said...

Michael. I will miss your blog. I read it often. I was a hospital chaplain for 10 years. The most rewarding part for me was ministering to the dying. They raised my level of faith and did more for me than I could ever do for me. I am sure they pray for me before the throne of God. They will for you too. God bless you for all your hood work and all the good you will continue to do.

Jeanette Goodwin said...

Well done, Michael! All the very best.

Cathie Bayly said...

Congratulations on finishing your course and starting this new chapter.

Barbara Mishler said...

Congratulations, Michael. Your sweetness and kindness will help with any and all passages that people will be experiencing.

Lisa Drew Vanderlinden said...

Michael, wishing you a joyous experience, where you really experience the presence of God!

Bernie McGowan said...

Well done, Mr B. How lucky the palliative people are who have you to counsel and touch their souls. You are the right one for this. . . . And, yes, take time to touch base with your developing self through nature. How natural and grounding.

Sara Cone said...

I am so excited for you! Congratulations!