Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Unique . . . Yes, You!


There is a vitality, a life force,
an energy, a quickening,
that is translated through you into action,
and because there is only one of you in all time,
this expression is unique. And if you block it,
it will never exist through any other medium
and will be lost.

– Martha Graham


I appreciate how Julia Cameron, in her book Blessings: Prayers and Declarations for a Heartful Life, reflects on the words of acclaimed dancer and choreographer Martha Graham and helps us see how they're applicable to all our actions of body, speech and mind.

I share today the beauty and wisdom of Martha and Julia's words, along with images of dancer Thiago Soares, for all who have been told and/or made to feel – by other people or by institutions and systems of oppression – that their unique presence in the world is not important. It is!


The Breath of Spirit Breathes Through Me

I am a unique conduit for the good of the universe to flow into the world. As I listen and respond to my inner guidance, I bring to the world originality and opportunity. I have a unique healing presence which blesses those who know me. As I open my heart to being true to my own nature, I provide for others a personal and providential medicine. We do not interact by mistake. I am placed where I am and with whom I am for many important reasons. As I become more fully myself, my individual personality brings specific gifts to those who surround me. As I open myself to unfolding my inner gifts, the gifts of my nature grace others in outward and material ways. My presence in this world is important. My attitudes and actions have importance. As I choose to be a healing and creative presence, I am balm for a troubled world. The grace of Spirit touches me and through me touches all I encounter.

– Julia Cameron
Excerpted from Blessings: Prayers and Declarations
for a Heartful Life

pp. 17-18


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
The Soul of a Dancer
The Challenge to Become Ourselves
Celebrating Our Sanctifying Truth
The Power of Our Stories
Getting It Right
Real Holiness
The Source is Within You
Clyde Hall: "All Gay People, in One Form or Another, Have Something to Give to This World, Something Rich and Very Wonderful"
Remembering and Reclaiming a Wise, Spacious, and Holy Understanding of Homosexuality

Recommended Off-site Link:
Thiago Soares, Principal Dancer: Born in Brazil, Made in LondonCrane.tv via YouTube (May 2, 2014).

Images: Thiago Soares (photographers unknown).


No comments: