Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dad

In Australia today, my Dad celebrates his 74th birthday.


Happy Birthday, Dad!




By far, one of the hardest things about living so far from Australia is that I don't get to celebrate, in person, special days like today with my family. Still, each and every one of my family members are always in my thoughts and prayers - and on this particular day, my Dad especially.





I consider myself to be a pretty "together" kind of guy: a man of compassion and integrity – which, when you think about it, is what it's really all about. I also know that, to a large extent, I have my parents to thank for this. And so I take this time this evening to do just that – my Dad especially, on this special day of his.


I love you, Dad, and can’t thank you enough for all you continue to be and give to me, my brothers, our family, and so many others whose lives are touched by yours.


For some great photos of Dad through the years, click here.


And did you know that my Dad is the same age as the Prince Valiant comic strip, or rather adventure strip? In fact, it was Dad's collection of Prince Valiant "comic" books from the 1950s that first fired my interest in that heroic Viking prince named Valiant!

That same interest recently compelled me to establish a
blog dedicated to what's been described as "the finest work ever produced in the comic art medium." And one of my first posts on this blog was the transcript of the interview I did with Dad in January 2010 about his early interest in Prince Valiant. This interview can be found here.


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Happy Birthday, Dad (2010)
Happy Birthday, Dad (2009)
Congratulations, Mum and Dad!
Commemorating My Grandfather, Aub Bayly, and the Loss of the AHS Centaur
Remembering Nanna Smith
The Bayly Family - January 2010
The Bayly Family - January 2009
The Bayly Family - July 2006
Catholic Rainbow (Australian) Parents
Coming Out


No comments: