Monday, February 07, 2011

"Like Persephone of Myth . . ."

As I prepare to once again leave my life in Australia and return to my life in the U.S., I find myself relating to Queen Aleta's predicament in the above panels from Prince Valiant. Rest assured, however, that neither of the two "domains" that I find myself "caught between" are comparable to Hades!

Anyway, tomorrow I return to the U.S. It's going to be a long and arduous trip but the thought of Doug waiting there to greet me and my resuming of work with the inspiring and Spirit-filled folks of the Catholic Pastoral Committee on Sexual Minorities and the Catholic Coalition for Church Reform, will make it all worth it. I'll share in a future post what these two groups have planned for the coming year. For now I share a few pictures of the wonderful family and friends I'll be leaving behind, and of some of the things I've been up to these past few weeks. Enjoy!

Above: Mum and Dad – January 2011.

Above: The Baylys of Melbourne in Port Macquarie – January 2011.

Above: My nieces and nephews. From left: Mitch, Sami, Liam, Layne, Ryan and Brendan – January 2011.

Above and below: My younger brother Tim and his band!

Above: My youngest nephew Brendan with "Grandpa Bayly" – January 2011.

Above: The Baylys of Port Macquarie (and in-laws) enjoying a meal at the Riverbank Cafe in Gladstone.

Above: An uninvited lunch guest!

Above: Perusing the art gallery and gift shop at the Riverside Cafe in Gladstone.

Above: At Coffs Harbour's Butterfly House – January 26, 2011.

Above: The view of Swallows' Ledge from the south end of Port Macquarie's Town Beach.

Above and below: A visit from Jeremiah and Kristy! – February 5-7, 2011.

Above and below: On Flynns Beach – February 7, 2011.

See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Sydney Sojourn
Christmas in Australia
An Afternoon at Flynns Beach
Summer Vocation!
The Australian Floods
Rising Waters
"Flooded In but Lovin' Life"
In Maclean, an End to the "Siege"
A Bushland Wedding
Yaegl Country
Boardies, Budgie Smugglers and Euro-Togs
Responding to Cardinal Pell
Journey to Gunnedah

Opening image: Panels from an early 1980s
Prince Valiant strip. Art: John Cullen Murphy. Text: John Cullen.


crystal said...

Nice lizard :) Have a safe trip.

Mareczku said...

What beautiful pictures. You enrich the lives of so many. You are truly a blessing, Michael, to those you love.