Sunday, December 20, 2009

Swallows' Ledge


Above and below: The view at dawn from my bedroom balcony at Swallows’ Ledge - my parents’ apartment complex in Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia - Wednesday, December 16, 2009.

The complex is actually called The Sandcastle, but I think Swallows’ Ledge is a much more appropriate name, given the many swallows that dart around the building at all times of day. Plus, “The Sandcastle” has always struck me as a rather odd name. I mean, it doesn't exactly elicit confidence in the building’s structural integrity, now, does it!?

I’ll be in Australia for the next two months, visiting family and friends - oh, and escaping the wintry conditions of my other home in Minnesota!



Right: With my parents Gordon and Margaret Bayly - December 18, 2009.

Mum and Dad moved into their unit at Swallows’ Ledge in November 2006. I was in Australia at that time, waiting for the completion of my longer-than-expected Green Card application process.




Aspects of the architecture of Swallows’ Ledge are quite interesting - like the pattern of balconies at the rear of the building (above) and the almost North African-look of the building’s north-western facade (below).




Above: The front of the building which overlooks Port Macquarie’s popular Town Beach (right and below).












Above: The view of Swallows’ Ledge from the north end of Town Beach.



Above and below: The south-eastern end of the building.




Above: My parents (at left) with their friends Mary, Daphne, and Bob - December 18, 2009.


Left: With Dad, after playing tennis with him and his friends on the morning of December 19, 2009.



Right: With my younger brother Tim.

Last night I was invited to join Tim, his wife Ros, and their two daughters at a party hosted by their friends Phil and Tracy - whom I first met, along with their two daughters, Danika and Paris, during my last visit to Port Macquarie.






Left: My niece Layne.













Right: My niece Sami.












Above: Sami and my sister-in-law Ros (left) at last night’s party. Sixth and seventh from left are Tracy and Danika. Tracy’s mum, Margaret, stands second from right.



Above (from left): Phil, Steve, Harry (on crutches), Adam and Patsy - December 19, 2009.


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Australia Bound
Return to Ellenborough Falls
The Empty Beach
Port Macquarie
A Solitary Ramble
Rocky Beach
Flynns Beach
A Summer Afternoon


This time one year ago at The Wild Reed . . .
Newtown
“Harbour City” Sights
Exeter


2 comments:

Fran said...

Have a lovely trip and a blessed Christmas!

It looks so very beautiful there!

Mareczku said...

Glad that you safely made it home. It looks like you are having a great time. Your family is surely thrilled to have you there. You must have enjoyed the golf. How great is it that you get to have a second summer. We had a snowstorm yesterday so I must leave now to shovel my driveway so I can get to Mass. We were on the edge of the storm so it is not so bad here. Sending you blessings and warmest hugs from snowy PA.

Peace - Mark