Sunday, February 11, 2007

It Sure Was Cold


Last Wednesday morning I resumed my participation in the weekly vigil outside the corporate headquarters of Alliant TechSystems – the largest Minnesota-based contractor for the U.S. military.

Located in Edina, Alliant Techsystems’ products include depleted uranium munitions, cluster bombs, landmines and all three rocket motors for the Trident II nuclear missile.

Alliant Action, a coalition of justice and peace activists and organizations, has been organizing the weekly vigil, along with educational initiatives and direct actions, for ten years. I’ve been involved in this and other justice and peace issues since February 1997.

Last Wednesday, February 7, 2007, was reputedly our coldest vigil in ten years (-17 degrees). And it sure did feel like it! I find it amazing to think that just three weeks ago I was in Australia enjoying this.

Anyway, that’s me in the photo above in the back row at far left (which, I guess, some might say is kinda appropriate). My sign reads: “Stop Making Weapons!”



Recommended Off-site Links:
CircleVision.org
Faces of Resistance

See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Alliant Action
An Unholy Alliance in Iraq
In Search of a “Global Ethic”
When Terror is the Foil
More Propaganda Than Plot?
Let’s Also Honor the “Expendables”
John le Carré’s Dark Suspicions
A Reign of Ignorance and Fear in the US
Tariq Ali Discusses Rudyard Kipling
A Voice of Reason
Irene Khan: Shaking Things Up Down Under
Remembering Sister Rita

Image: CircleVision.org


No comments: