Saturday, January 09, 2010

Lighthouse Beach


Earlier this afternoon I spent several hours with members of my family at Port Macquarie’s Lighthouse Beach. As you can see from these images, it’s a very beautiful area.





Left and below: Camel Rock, at the southern end of Lighthouse Beach.









Above: Tacking Point Lighthouse gives the beach its name. Built in 1879, it’s Australia’s third oldest lighthouse, and is located at the northern end of Lighthouse Beach.





Above and below: The views when climbing to the summit of Tacking Point are quite spectacular.







Right: With my brother Tim on the viewing platform at the summit of Tacking Point.










Left: My brother, his wife, and their youngest daughter.

My sister-in-law’s great-grandfather died in a shipwreck just north of Tacking Point when the steamer Sumatra floundered in 1823 during a winter storm.







See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
On the Rocks . . .
A Solitary Ramble
Coastal Views
Alva Beach
Rocky Beach
Flynns Beach
A Spring Swim
A Summer Afternoon
The Empty Beach
Starfish
Anatone France’s The Ocean Christ

Images: Michael Bayly.


1 comment:

Mark A. said...

Meanwhile, here in Nebraska, I had a guy with a snow plow blade on his giant pickup truck clean my driveway off. Lighthouse Beach...make's me nostalgic for Monterey. No snow in either place.