. . . Really look at it.
Look at the way the younger son holds onto his dad’s shirt with one hand and his dad’s thumb with the other.
Look at how this father holds both of his older son’s hands in his.
Look at how this father cradles his younger son’s tiny foot between his fingers.
Look at the way their heads tilt towards each other. Look at their smiles.
Keep looking. Don’t look away. Why? Because this father will never hold his children again. Because this father was shot twenty times in his grandmother’s backyard armed with nothing but an iPhone. Because this is why we must march and protest and resist and show up and shout from the rooftops that #BlackLivesMatter.
– Katharine Kline
March 22, 2018
March 22, 2018
Related Off-site Links and Updates:
Police Fired 20 Times at South Sacramento Man Fatally Shot While Holding a Cellphone – Nashelly Chavez, Benjy Egel and Anita Chabria (The Sacramento Bee, March 20, 2018).
Protests Shut Down Sacramento Kings Game and Freeways Over Stephon Clark’s Death – Carla Herreria (The Huffington Post, March 23, 2018).
Unrest Intensifies in Sacramento Over Police Killing of Unarmed Stephon Clark – Paige St. John and Jazmine Ulloa (The Los Angeles Times, March 23, 2018).
A Deputy in Houston Shot and Killed an Unarmed Black Man – Days After Stephon Clark’s Death – Alex Horton (The Washington Post, March 24, 2018).
See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
• Remembering Philando Castile and Demanding Abolition of the System That Targets and Kills People of Color
• "This Doesn't Happen to White People"
• Quote of the Day – March 31, 2016
• Something to Think About – December 29, 2015
• Quote of the Day – November 25, 2015
• "We Are All One" – #Justice4Jamar and the 4th Precinct Occupation: Photos, Reflections and Links
• An Update on #Justice4Jamar and the 4th Precinct Occupation
• Rallying in Solidarity with Eric Garner and Other Victims of Police Brutality
• "Say Her Name" Solidarity Action for Sandra Bland
• In Minneapolis, Rallying in Solidarity with Black Lives in Baltimore