Saturday, August 14, 2010

Classic Dusty V

Writes Jim Pierson in the liner notes of the 2002 compilation album Dusty Springfield: Heart and Soul:

Some of Dusty's most memorable and meaningful recordings were written by the team of Carole King and Gerry Goffin. Although Dusty never made a studio version, her live rendition of "Up On the Roof" belongs among the finest interpretations of Goffin-King classics.


Hey, no argument from me on that one! Indeed, Dusty's rendition of this tender ballad is simply exquisite. And don't get me started on those strings!

True, visually, the quality of the following clip isn't the best, but, trust me, if you take the time to simply be open to Dusty's beautiful vocals and the wistful lyrics of this song, you won't be disappointed.




When this old world starts getting me down
and people are just too much for me to face,
I climb way up to the top of the stairs
and all my cares just drift right into space.
On the roof, it's peaceful as can be.
And there the world below can't bother me.

Let me tell you now,
when I come home feelin' tired and beat,
I go up where the air is fresh and sweet.
I get away from the hustling crowd
And all that rat-race noise down in the street.
On the roof, the only place I know
where you just have to wish to make it so.
Let's go up on the roof (up on the roof)

At night the stars put on a show for free.
And, darling, you can share it all with me

I keep on tellin' you,
right smack dab in the middle of town
I've found a paradise that's trouble proof.
And if this world starts getting you down,
there's room enough for two
up on the roof.


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Remembering Dusty
Classic Dusty
Classic Dusty II
Classic Dusty III
Classic Dusty IV
Remembering Dusty - Eleven Years On
Time and the River
Something In Your Eyes
Soul Deep


No comments: