Thursday, October 08, 2015

The Body: As Sacred and Knowing as a Temple Oracle


As I approach my 50th birthday, Julia Cameron's words on the human body as teacher and guide ring especially true for me.

I also think that it's fair to say that our Western consumerist society is one that idolizes youth and certain types of bodies. Yet Cameron's words remind us all of the beautiful gift of our body, no matter its shape or condition. Her words also remind me of the Sacred Presence within each one of us; a Presence that calls me to honor and listen to the intuitive wisdom of my body. I know that as we age and our physical appearance changes in ways we've been conditioned by society to fear and/or abhor, it can be difficult to accept, honor and listen to the body. Yet we must. We simply must. Cameron's words are a beautiful reminder of why this is so.


My body is more than a vehicle which carries me through life. My body is a storehouse for my memories, a sensitive radar kit which warns me of danger, a wise teacher who signals me how best to care for my spirit. When I listen to my body, I am led into right and wise actions. When I take seriously the guidance it offers, I make decisions which honor me in a holistic way. My body grounds me and protects me. My body is sacred and as knowing as a temple oracle. Often the intuitive warnings of my body regarding people, places, and events are the deepest safety I am given. I bless my body for its loyal surveillance on my behalf. I bless my body for its patient endurance, its mercurial intuition, and its persistence in speaking to me even when I slough aside the guidance it bears. My body is the most loyal of my friends. I bless my body for its loyal companionship and commit to regarding it with tender care.



See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
A Guidepost on the Journey
For 2015, Three "Generous Promises"
Joan Timmerman on the "Wisdom of the Body"
Real Holiness
No Altar More Sacred
In the Garden of Spirituality – Eckhart Tolle
Corpus Christi

Related Off-site Links:
I'm A Man, and I've Spent My Life Ashamed Of My Body – Tyler Kingkade (HuffPost Masculinity, August 14, 2015).
Why I No Longer Need to Be a 'Beautiful Boy' – Shawn Binder (HuffPost Gay Voices, October 8, 2015).
How Gay Men Feel About Aging – Paul Bisceglio (Pacific Standard, August 26, 2014).
Gay Men and Aging: Finding Your Purpose – Michael C. LaSala (Psychology Today, April 2, 2012).

Images: Michael J. Bayly (October 2015).


No comments: