Tuesday, September 22, 2020

A Prayer of Autumn Welcoming


Welcome, Autumn, arms full of summer’s blessing,
carrying the seeds of life for next year’s planting.
Come, enter my home with your golden wisdom;
be my guest and share my table.

Welcome, Old Wise One,
may I be your student in the school of gratitude.
Guide me in reflecting upon the summer now gone,
that I might give thanks for all the many gifts
that have enriched me in that season of growth.

I greet you, spirits of darkness
that dwell in the night and within me.
While you are frightening, you are also a source of power;
may I not fear you
but learn to live in holy harmony with you;
you are not evil unless you dominate me.
Night within me, I welcome you as well;
may all your spirits that reside in me
live in harmony with the Spirit of the Holy.

– Edward Hays
(from Prayers for a Planetary Pilgrim)


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
O Sacred Season of Autumn
“Thou Hast Thy Music Too”
Autumn’s Wordless Message
Autumn – Within and Beyond (2018)
Autumn – Within and Beyond (2016)
Autumnal (and Rather Pagan) Thoughts on the Making of “All Things New”
Autumn Psalm
Autumn Beauty
Autumn Leaves
Autumn Hues
Autumn by the Creek
From the River to the Falls
Autumn Dance
An Autumn Walk by Minnehaha Creek
The Last of Autumn’s Hues
“This Autumn Land Is Dreaming”

Image: Michael J. Bayly.


No comments: