Thursday, February 09, 2023

A Favorite Burt Bacharach Song

In honor of American composer Burt Bacharach, who died yesterday at age 94, I share this evening “I’m A Better Man (For Having Loved You),” one of my favorite compositions by this revered and iconic songsmith.

Although first recorded in 1969 by Al Martino, it was Engelbert Humperdinck’s version from later that same year which introduced me as a child of the early ’70s to this beautiful though lesser-known song by the famed music team of Bacharach and lyricist Hal David.

Engelbert Humperdinck (pictured at right) was actually one of my first boyhood crushes, and “I’m A Better Man” was the opening track of an Engelbert compilation album that my parents owned. That album, and Engelbert’s rich smooth voice, is one of my first musical memories.

On the 2007 DVD, Engelbert Humperdinck: Greatest Hits 1967-1977, Engelbert pays homage to the Bacharach/David team by noting the following about his recording of “I’m A Better Man”:

It was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David and I happened to get hold [of it] in my early career. Of course, to be involved with a Burt Bacharach and Hal David song is outstanding, so I was thrilled by that. Although it didn’t do great as far as the charts – it did climb into the Top Ten, which was rather wonderful. The lyrical content and the melody was absolutely fantastic. It’s one of my favorite songs up to this day.


And one of mine too! In fact, if I ever get married and have a wedding ceremony, I’d like to have this particular Bacharach/David song played, as its lyrics speak so beautifully and powerfully of the transforming power of love.





Related Off-site Links:
Burt Bacharach, Peerless Pop Composer, Dies at 94 – Duane Byrge (Billboard, February 9, 2023).
Burt Bacharach, One of Pop’s Greatest Songwriters, Dies Aged 94 – Mark Savage (BBC News, February 9, 2023).
Burt Bacharach: An Astonishing Creator of Impermeable Classics and Supersmooth Pop – Alex Petridis (The Guardian, February 9, 2023).
The Genius of Burt Bacharach in 12 Songs – Jem Aswad (Variety, February 9, 2023).
Engelbert Humperdinck: The Man Behind the Name – Kev Geoghegan (BBC News, March 5, 2012).

See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Engelbert Humperdinck: Not That Easy to Forget
Classic Engelbert
Classic Engelbert II
Classic Engelbert III
Dionne Warwick: “Being Human Is What It’s All About”
Remembering Dusty, 20 Years On


No comments: