Thursday, February 14, 2019

In the Abode of the Heart



Love is not about finding a soul mate. If it seems to be in the beginning, the feeling starts to dissipate the moment you and your soul mate discover how different your toothpaste habits are. Rather, love is about exploring vulnerability, about exploring degrees of acceptance of and resistance to each other. On the spiritual level, it is about continuously reaching for deeper and deeper levels of trust in God.

. . . Hazrat Inayat Khan writes, "Enter unhesitatingly, Beloved, for in this abode there is naught but my longing for Thee. Do I call Thee my soul? But Thou art my spirit. Can I call Thee my life? But Thou livest forever. May I call Thee my Beloved? But Thou art Love itself. Then what must I call Thee? I must call Thee myself."

– Phillip Gowins
Excerpted from Practical Sufism:
A Guide to the Spiritual Path

pp. 162-163


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
The Winged Heart
Be Just In My Heart
The Sacred Heart: "Mystical Symbol of Love"
What We Mean By Love
The Choice (and Risk) That Is Love
Love as "Quest and Daring and Growth"
To Know and Be Known
The Gravity of Love
The Soul of My Love
To Be Held and to Hold
Lovemaking: Pathway to Truth, Harmony and Wholeness
To Be Alive Is to Love
Meeting (and Embodying) the Lover God
"There's Light in Love, You See"
The Most Sacred and Simple Mystery of All
"Joined at the Heart": Robert Thompson on Christianity and Sufism

Image: Artist unknown.


No comments: