Wednesday, July 12, 2023

A Visit to the Prayer Tree


About two weeks ago, on Saturday, July 1, I visited the Prayer Tree, a very special place of spiritual connection and renewal for me.

This particular tree grows beside Minnehaha Creek, not far from where I lived in south Minneapolis from 2012-2018.

When I was doing my chaplain residency at Abbott Northwestern Hospital (2017-2018), I would pause at this tree each morning and afternoon as I walked to and from my bus stop on nearby Chicago Ave.

My time at what I came to call the Prayer Tree was a beautiful and powerful way to prepare me for my chaplaincy work . . . as well as to begin and end my work day. It became for me a holy place, and remains so to this day.

This really shouldn’t be surprising, given that, as my friend McAuley once pointed out to me, the Prayer Tree serves as a beautiful representation of the axis mundi – the cosmic axis, the center of the world. Often symbolized by a tree, the axis mundi, as both a celestial and geographic pillar, serves as a point of connection between sky (heaven) and earth, the higher and lower realms of consciousness, and the four compass directions.

As a representation of the axis mundi, the Prayer Tree serves as a rich symbol of groundedness, connection, and unity. I experience all of these qualities whenever I’m there.

Since moving to the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis in October 2019, I don’t often get to visit and spend time at the Prayer Tree, which made my time there on the first day of July 2023 all the more special.

My images of the Prayer Tree are accompanied by prayers and reflections that are particularly meaningful to me at this time.


By virtue of the Creation
and, still more, of the incarnation,
nothing here below is profane for those
who know how to see.




Divine Beloved, change me into One who easily releases ALL that is stagnant and outlived. Whether those are physical objects, clutter, old beliefs, destructive habits, or useless emotions, transform me into One who easily releases what I no longer need.

May I be a clear vessel for Love to serve the highest good. May I release all that wishes to go, to make room for the New that is headed my way.




Great Spirit,

I pray for the fearful and broken world of humanity.
I pray that all may seek and find deep within,
the flame-like seed of compassion

May this compassion be lovingly cultivated
by each one of us so that it blooms
as desires and actions for justice,
community, and a sustainable world
for all living things.

And may the fragrance of this blossoming
be recognized and celebrated
as peace in our lives
and in the world.

Amen.




Always keep your blessings in front of you. It doesn’t mean that I inventory everything I have. It means I remain aware of all I’ve been given. Like breath. Like sight. Like friends, confidants, love, productivity, health, joy and even difficulties so that I might learn to employ other blessings to negotiate my way through them. When I can keep my blessings in front of me, it opens me to awareness of Source and gratitude. I don’t have to want anything because I’ve already been blessed.




Beloved and Antlered,
at one with all creation,
awaken me!

Seeker of the forest’s hidden paths
and the beauty within both beast and man;
guide me in the ways of deeper understanding.

Trusting one, accompanied by stag and dog,
you are both wild and tame, hard and soft;
teach me the ways of balance.

Twilight dancer, dwelling on thresholds
both within and beyond;
illuminate the sacred spaces in-between.

Ancient archetype of Holy Mystery,
to you I look for inspiration, courage, and hope.
May your presence be known to me always.




Compassionate Creator,
within and beyond all things,
holy are your names.
May your ways of wisdom and compassion,
clarity and courage
be known and embodied by all.

Grant what we need each day
in bread and insight.
Loose the cords of mistakes that bind us
as we release the strands we hold of others’ guilt.
Do not let surface things delude us
but free us from all that holds us back
from our true purpose.

From you radiates all life and love,
the song that beautifies all.
From age to age it renews.
May your compassion be the ground from which spring
all our actions of body, speech and mind.

Amen.


This is a version of the "Our Father" which, in large part, is Neil Douglas-Klotz’s translation of the Aramaic words of Jesus. I say “in large part” because I have adapted it somewhat. Douglas-Klotz’s version can be found in his book Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus’ Words. It can also be found online, here.


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
The Prayer Tree (2017)
The Prayer Tree . . . Aflame! (2018)
December’s Snowy Start (2018)
November Musings (2020)
A Very Intentional First Day of the Year (2021)
“Everything Is Saturated With the Sacred”
“I Caught a Glimpse of a God”
Guidelines for a Universal Mysticism: An Introduction | Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII
The Mysticism of Trees
Mystics Full of Grace
Holy Encounters Where Two Worlds Meet
A Sacred Pause
Aligning With the Living Light
Mystical Participation

Photography: Michael J. Bayly (July 1, 2023).
Axis Mundi artwork: Christian Spencer (2020).


No comments: