Sunday, June 27, 2021

Blue Yonder


Colour is the language of light . . . [and] the clothing of beauty. . . . Each colour has its own individuality, personality and native mood. . . . Blue is a strange colour. It holds night and day within it. . . . The sky is blue, the earth has no blue. The ocean is the great mirror of the sky. It holds its own reserve of transparent mystery under its blue surface. Goethe says that rather than coming at us or hemming us in, blue draws us after it into the distance. Blue seems to be the colour of the infinite – an endless expanse where darkness and brightness dwell in blue light.

John O'Donohue
Excerpted from Beauty: The Invisible Embrace
Perennial (2004)



Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver
From her poem, “The Summer Day,”
in her collection, House of Light (1984)



Do what is beautiful.
Allah loves those
who do what is beautiful.

The Quran (2:195)



Beauty is not a need but an ecstasy.
It is not a mouth thirsting
nor an empty hand stretched forth,
But rather a heart enflamed and a soul enchanted.
. . . Beauty is life when life unveils her holy face.

Kahlil Gibran
Excerpted from “On Beauty”
in The Prophet



Maybe the desire to make something beautiful
is the piece of God that is inside each of us.



See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Skylight
Adnan in Morning Light
Saaxiib Qurux Badan – January 30, 2021
November Musings
Saaxiib Qurux Badan – November 18, 2020
Late Autumn Light
Out and About – Spring 2020
Family Time in Guruk . . . and Glimpses of Somaliland
Somalia Bound
Saaxiib Qurux Badan – July 15, 2019
Saaxiib Qurux Badan – July 14, 2019
Adnan . . . Amidst Mississippi Reflections and Forest Green
Adnan . . . with Sunset Reflections and Jet Trail
Saaxiib Qurux Badan – April 16, 2019
In This In-Between Time
Saaxiib Qurux Badan – March 29, 2019
“Window, Mind, Thought, Air and Love”
It’s You


Images: Adnan in blue and gold kurta, photographed by Michael J. Bayly (June 24, 2021).

A kurta is a loose collarless shirt that can be worn by both men and women. Tracing its roots to Central Asian nomadic tunics, or upper body garments, of the late-ancient- and early-medieval era, the kurta has evolved stylistically over the centuries as a garment for everyday wear as well as for formal occasions.

I came across the kurta that my friend Adnan is wearng at a Goodwill store in south Minneapolis. It was selling for just $5:00. Unfortunately, it’s too small for me, but it fits Adnan perfectly.

I should say that I had quite the time deciding on a title for this post. After all, it’s a strange blending of things: reflections on beauty, the color blue, God . . . and images of my friend in a kurta! I settled on “Blue Yonder” from the expression “Into the wild blue yonder” (sometimes “wide blue yonder”) as I resonate with what this expression means: to go on a journey to faraway places and new horizons which are unfamiliar or mysterious, but which can broaden our outlook and transform us in positive ways. Of course, such “places” aren’t always found on a map. They can be new levels of insight or awareness. In other words, they can refer to a spiritual journey, just as much as to a geographical one. I like that.

Also, back in the late ’80s there was a musical duo called Blue Yonder (Sandy Stewart and David Munday) whose song “House of Love” I’ve always liked. The title and lyrics of this song fit with the contents and spirit of this post.

If love is heaven sent
I should be patient
I know your history
But still I let your smile get to me

. . . In this reality
Maybe it’s a dream I still believe
Instead of what I know
In spite of the pain, I can’t let go

So tell me, how can love
Expect so much from anyone
Tell me why I’m holding on

In this house of love
Where reason don’t mean a thing
Don’t change a thing
In this house of love
My reasons (all my reasoning)
Give up where the heart gives in


No comments: