Democracy is genius. Why? Because it’s a channel for the emergence of group conscience, a place where the best of who we are can come together with the best of who others are to create a wave of collective wisdom. That’s why any undermining of our democracy – from political gerrymandering to voter suppression to the dominance of money and party manipulation of the process – should be seen as an attack on our most basic freedom and strongly, even fiercely resisted. In Judaism it says every generation must rediscover God for itself. Similarly, every generation of Americans must re-discover the importance of democracy for ourselves. When we fail to psychologically and emotionally embrace its importance, others can inevitably begin to steal it. They do, and they have. For an awakened populace, seriously committed to its freedom, is inconvenient to an authoritarian order. It is up to each of us to put aside our distractedness and mere personal preoccupations, and show up for this moment in history. There are so many freedoms we take for granted, rights we assume are safe which are not necessarily safe at all. The erosion of our freedom is a natural consequence of the erosion of our attention to it. Democracy is like a collective muscle, and if we don’t use it and hone it and strengthen it, we will lose it.
– Marianne William
December 10, 2019
December 10, 2019
See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
• The Relevance and Vitality of Marianne Williamson’s 2020 Presidential Campaign
• Marianne Williamson and the Power of Politicized Love
• Quote of the Day – November 4, 2019
• Something to Think About (and Embody!)
• Presidential Candidate Marianne Williamson on Amanpour and Company, 9/21/19
• Presidential Candidate Marianne Williamson on The Breakfast Club, 8/29/19
• “This Woman Is Going to Win the Nomination”: Matt Taibbi on Marianne Williamson in Iowa
• Marianne Williamson On What It Will Take to Defeat Donald Trump
• Caitlin Johnstone: “Status Quo Politicians Are Infinitely ‘Weirder’ Than Marianne Williamson”
• Presidential Candidate Marianne Williamson: “We’re Living at a Critical Moment in Our Democracy”
• Friar André Maria: Quote of the Day – June 28, 2019
• Marianne Williamson Plans on Sharing Some “Big Truths” on Tonight's Debate Stage
• Sometimes You Just Have to Take Matters Into Your Own Hands . . .
• “A Lefty With Soul”: Why Presidential Candidate Marianne Williamson Deserves Some Serious Attention
• Marianne Williamson: Reaching for Higher Ground
• Marianne Williamson: Quote of the Day – April 24, 2019
• Why Marianne Williamson Is a Serious and Credible Presidential Candidate
• Talkin’ ’Bout An Evolution: Marianne Williamson’s Presidential Bid
• Marianne Williamson: Quote of the Day – November 5, 2018
• In the Garden of Spirituality – Marianne Williamson
• Marianne Williamson: Quote of the Day – August 29, 2017
Related Off-site Links:
Marianne 2020 – The official Marianne Williamson for President website.
Exclusive Marianne Williamson Interview: “I’m Not Going Away and I’m Not Being Quiet” – Cailyn Derickson (The Herald, November 1, 2019).
Marianne Williamson: DNC is “Dictating” Rather Than “Facilitating the Process of Democracy” – Tess Bonn (The Hill, October 21, 2019).
Marianne Williamson Decries “Character Assassination” in Rindge Visit – Jake Lahut (Sentinel Source, November 5, 2019).
Politics and Spirituality: The Meaning of Good? – Marianne Williamson Wants to Reconcile Politics and Spirituality Knowing Americans Crave Meaning – Joseph Serwach (Medium, November 4, 2019).
Interview with Marianne Williamson, 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidate, on Love and Apathy – Andrew Bellah (The Politic, October 24, 2019).
Andrew Yang Seeks Donations for 2020 Rival Marianne Williamson: “She Has Much More to Say” – John Bowden (The Hill, November 6, 2019).
Marianne Williamson on Climate Change, Impeachment, and Immigrants – People Chica (November 6, 2019).
Marianne Williamson on Building an Economics of Love – Tom Syverson (Paste, November 13, 2019).