Monday, January 08, 2018

Happy Birthday, Shirley!


The celebrated vocalist Dame Shirley Bassey celebrates her 81st birthday today. Happy Birthday, Shirley!


To mark the occasion at The Wild Reed, I share the following clip of Shirley performing one of her most well-known recordings, "(Where Do I Begin) Love Story." It's from a television appearance in 1972. Enjoy!





Where do I begin?
To tell the story of how great a love can be
The sweet love story that is older than the sea
The simple truth about the love he brings to me
Where do I start?

Like a summer rain
That cools the pavement with a patent leather shine
He came into my life and made the living fine
And gave a meaning to this empty world of mine
He fills my heart

He fills my heart with very special things
With angels' songs, with wild imaginings
He fills my soul with so much love
That anywhere I go, I'm never lonely
With him along, who could be lonely?
I reach for his hand
It's always there

How long does it last?
Can love be measured by the hours in a day?
I have no answers now but this much I can say
I'm going to need him 'til the stars all burn away
And he'll be there



For more of Shirley Bassey at The Wild Reed, see:
Time of the Tigress
The Living Tree: Shirley Bassey and Me
The Rhythm Divine
History Repeating
Oscar Highlights 2013
Quote of the Day – February 26, 2013
Shirley, Shirley, Shirley!

Related Off-site Links:
17 Times Dame Shirley Bassey Proved She's Truly World Class – Tyler Mears (Wales Online, January 7, 2017).
Why Shirley Bassey Is Horrified by Today's Pop StarsThe Telegraph (December 24, 2016).
Dame Shirley Bassey "Couldn't Sing" After Death of DaughterBBC News (December 24, 2016).
Shirley Bassey Reveals Secret Torment Behind Glittering 60 Year Career – Rod McPhee (Mirror, December 23, 2016).


No comments: