In Minnesota, we know that organized people will always beat organized money. Tonight, our movement didn't just win. We earned a mandate for change. Despite outside efforts to defeat us, we once again broke turnout records. Despite the attacks, our support has only grown. This election isn't about me. It's about an agenda rooted in people's everyday struggles – and the corporations and rightwing donors who are threatened by it.
Related Off-site Links:
Ilhan Omar Wins House Primary in Minnesota – Astead W. Herndon (The New York Times, August 11, 2020).
Rep. Ilhan Omar Wins Contentious Democratic Primary Election in Minnesota – Savannah Behrmann (USA Today, August 11, 2020).
Rep. Ilhan Omar Wins Congressional Primary – Elena Moore (MPR News, August 11, 2020).
Progressive Champion Ilhan Omar Beats Well-Funded Challenger Antone Melton-Meaux in a Minnesota Blow-Out – Ibrahim Hirsi (Sahan Journal, August 11, 2020).
UPDATES: The Media Said Ilhan Omar Was Fighting for Her Political Life. She Won Easily – Luke Savage (Jacobin, August 12, 2020).
Where the Votes for Ilhan Omar’s Victory Over Antone Melton-Meaux Came From – Greta Kaul (MinnPost, August 12, 2020).
Every “Squad”’ Member Won Her Primary – Daniel Marans (The Huffington Post, August 12, 2020).
Ilhan Omar's Win Proves the Squad Is Here to Stay – Kimberly Truong (InStyle, August 12, 2020).
See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
• Ricardo Levins Morales on the “Deepest Political Fault Line” Separating Democrats Ilhan Omar and Antone Melton-Meaux
• To Whom the Future of America Belongs
• Ilhan Omar: Quote of the Day – April 13, 2019
• Global Condemnation for Trump's Latest Ignorant and Racist Comments
• Ilhan Omar: Stepping Into Her Power
• Juan Cole: Quote of the Day – February 11, 2019
• Progressive Perspectives on the Ilhan Omar “Controversy”
• Ilhan Omar on The Daily Show