Thursday, April 26, 2012

"We Are Sojourners on This Earth . . ."


O Loving presence,
You are with us to the end,
whatever the measure of our days;
our life passes by as the blinking of an eye!
For the gift of life fades too soon away,
yet how precious are we in your sight!
Surely your plan for us is written in our hearts.
Surely your angels stand ready
to guide us on our way.
Surely there is nothing to fear,
for You abide within us;
You await patiently for us
to awaken to your Love . . .


I'm currently in Australia for two weeks. Although at the moment I'm at Swallows Ledge, my parents home in Port Macquarie, most of my time will be spent in Sydney with a family of close friends who are experiencing a very difficult time.Your prayers of strength and support for this family and for all who love them, myself included, are greatly appreciated.

I share this evening some photos of my first days in Australia.




Above: The clock tower of Sydney's Central Station, the largest railway station in Australia – April 24, 2012.



Above: ANZAC Day in Port Macquarie – April 25, 2012. I heard on the news last night that this was the first year that there was no World War One veterans present at any of the ANZAC Day parades or services as there are now no longer any left alive.



Above: A young cormorant on the break wall of Port Macquarie – April 25, 2012. I think this is the closest I've ever been to a cormorant!



Above and below: Visiting the rock platform below Swallows' Ledge that I love so much. For my writings inspired by this place, see here, here and here.








Above: April sun in Australia. The rock platform in the previous photos is located just below those trees behind me (right).




Left: With my parents – April 26, 2012.













Above: With Mum and Dad and friends George and Yonni – Thursday, April 26, 2012.



. . . And now, O Loving Friend, for what do I wait?
My hope is in your guidance.

. . . Hear our prayers, O Listening Heart,
give ear to our cries;
wash away our tears with your peace.
For we are but passing guests,
sojourners on this earth
as in all generations.
Look upon us with mercy,
that we may know the joy
of living in the realm of Love,
now and in the Life to come.

Amen.

– Excerpted from Psalm 39
as translated by Nan C. Merrill
in
Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness



NEXT: Leichhardt


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful pictures, Michael. I always love to see your beautiful Australia. I feel blessed to have a few Aussie friends and have come to love your country. A country which has produced such wonderful people. I hope that you have a good trip and all goes well. Just said a couple prayers for you. Blessings - Mark