Notes MPR News:
Thousands of people are expected to protest the inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump at events throughout the Twin Cities on Friday.
The largest of nearly 10 protests in the works is scheduled to take place through downtown Minneapolis. The "Resist from Day One Coalition" has organized a march that begins on Lake Street at 2 p.m. and follows a route along Nicollet Mall to City Hall at 5 p.m.
Organizer Alex Boxer said the group represents more than 70 Twin Cities organizations.
"We're working moms, immigrant Americans, people of color, LGBTQI folks, young people, students, people of faith doing our best to improve our communities," Boxer said.
Boxer said the coalition does not have official plans to block highways or disrupt businesses.
Minneapolis police spokesperson Corey Schmidt said the department has no planned road closures, but will make them on an as-needed basis. He said officers are assigned to Friday's protest events and the department can "get additional staffing from around the city if needed."
The Women's March Minnesota is scheduled for Saturday morning at the State Capitol. Organizers say they expect 20,000 people to attend.
PROTESTS SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY
• CTUL (Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha) Janitors Strike Against Trump
5:30 to 8 a.m. | The Home Depot, 1520 New Brighton Blvd., Minneapolis | More information
• Students for a Democratic Society at UMN, Campus Walkout
1 to 1:30 p.m. | Humphrey School of Public Affairs, 301 19th Ave. S., Minneapolis | More information
• Resist from Day One MN Mega-March Kickoff
2 to 6 p.m. | Kmart, 10 W. Lake St., Minneapolis | More information
• Native Lives Matter Blake Snake Resistance March
2:30 to 5 p.m. | Peavey Field Park, 730 E. 22nd St., Minneapolis | More information
• Water is Life - Resist Cultural Genocide - Native Lives Matter
3 to 5:30 p.m. | 1900 Nicollet Ave., Minneapolis | More information
• U.M.A.H.H. (The Universal Movement for Advancing Hip-Hop) Presents Ice Cube's Good Day 25th Anniversary Party
7 p.m. to 2 a.m. | Nomad World Pub, 501 Cedar Ave. S., Minneapolis | More information
Related Off-site Links and Updates
US: Dawn of Dangerous New Era – Human Rights Watch, January 20, 2017).
10 Acts of Resistance on Inauguration Day – John Pavlovitz (JohnPavlovitz.com, January 12, 2017).
What's Next After All The Marches? Organize – Brittany T. Oliver (BrittanyTOliver.com, January 12, 2017).
From Resisting Trump to What? – Les Leopold (Common Dreams, February 2, 2017).
See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
• On International Human Rights Day, Saying "No" to Donald Trump and His Fascist Agenda
• Progressive Perspectives on the Election of Donald Trump as President of the United States
• Election Eve Thoughts
• Carrying It On
• Progressive Perspectives on the Rise of Donald Trump
• Trump's Playbook