We have a critical mass of people who realize that the same-old same-old won’t fix [the crisis we’re in], who realize that the neoliberal status quo won’t disrupt itself and that in many ways it’s played a role in gettng us to where we are. . . . We have to stop pretending to ourselves that the same-old same-old will in any way sustain us or lead us to a survivable future.
– Marianne Williamson
With the U.S. midterm elections less than a week away, I can’t think of a better person to hear from on the state of the nation than author, activist, and former progressive Democratic presidential candidate Marianne Williamson.
Anyone who follows this blog will know that I’ve long respected and supported Marianne, and agree with philosopher and social critic Cornel West when he says that Marianne is “one of the few in the higher echelons of public life and public conversation who understand the intimate relation between the spiritual and the social, the personal and the political, and the existential and the economic.”
Continues West: “It’s very rare that people have this synoptic vision, [one that ensures that] spirituality, morality, and integrity sit at the center and at the beginning of any serious discussion about the relation of a self and a society.”
This “synoptic vision” of Marianne’s, greatly needed in our fractured world today, is on full display throughout Nina Turner’s recent conversation with her, one that you can watch below and which is of 10-minutes duration.
on the U.S. Midterm Elections
Related Off-site Links:
America Done, Or America 2.0? – Marianne Williamson (Transform, October 22, 2022).
“American Democracy Hangs in the Balance”: Carol Anderson on Midterms, Georgia Races and Voting Rights – Democracy Now! (October 28, 2022).
What’s at Stake in the Midterms? Electoral Democracy As We Know It – John Nichols (The Progressive, October 31, 2022).
Don’t Look Now But Progressives Are About to Expand Their Ranks in Congress – Branko Marcetic (In These Times, October 31, 2022).
“Working People Everywhere Have Had It”: SEIU President Mary Kay Henry on Unions Mobilizing for Midterms – Democracy Now! (November 2, 2022).
Progressives Say Biden Is Right: “Democracy Itself” Is at Stake in Midterms – Jessica Corbett (Common Dreams, November 3, 2022).
This Election Is About Whether U.S. Democracy Can Endure – Robert Reich (RobertReich.Substack.com, November 3, 2022).
Is the 2022 Midterm Lost to Dems? – Robert Kuttner (The American Prospect, October 21, 2022).
Why Aren’t Democrats Talking About the Real Cause of Inflation? – Robert Reich (In These Times, October 28, 2022).
Make America Great, At Last – Amy Goodman and Denis Moynihan (Democracy Now!, November 3, 2022).
Bernie Sanders Says True Economic Crisis Is “Corporate Greed” – and a GOP Congress Would Make It Worse – Jake Johnson (Common Dreams, November 4, 2022).
What Is Voter Intimidation and How Concerned Should You Be? – Wynne Davis (NPR News, November 4, 2022).
Your Guide to the 2022 Midterm Elections for Every State – NPR News (November 1, 2022).
For more of Marianne Williamson at The Wild Reed, see:
• An Essential Read Ahead of the Midterms
• Becoming Miracle Workers
• Marianne Williamson’s Politics of Love: The Rich Roll Interview
• Now Here’s a Voice I’d Like to Hear Regularly on the Sunday Morning Talk Shows
• A Deeper Perspective on What’s Really Attacking American Democracy
• “For the Love of Our Children, Let’s Not Shut Up”
• Marianne Williamson on the Tenth Anniversary of Occupy Wall Street
• “Two of the Most Dedicated and Enlightened Heroes of Present Day America”
• Cultivating Stillness
• Cultivating Peace
• Pollyanna, “Miracle Worker”
• Inauguration Eve Musings
• We Cannot Allow a Biden Win to Mean a Return to “Brunch Liberalism”
• “As Much the Sounding of An Alarm As a Time for Self-Congratulations”
• Marianne Williamson on the Movement for a People’s Party
• Eight Leading Progressive Voices on Why They’re Voting for Biden
• “We Have an Emergency On Our Hands”: Marianne Williamson On the “Freefall” of American Democracy
• Marianne Williamson: Quote of the Day – November 11, 2021
• Marianne Williamson: Quote of the Day – June 2, 2020
• Deep Gratitude
• “A Beautiful Message, So Full of Greatness”
• Marianne Williamson: “Anything That Will Help People Thrive, I’m Interested In”
• Caitlin Johnstone: “Status Quo Politicians Are Infinitely ‘Weirder’ Than Marianne Williamson”
• Presidential Candidate Marianne Williamson: “We’re Living at a Critical Moment in Our Democracy”
• Why Marianne Williamson Is a Serious and Credible Presidential Candidate
• In the Garden of Spirituality – Marianne Williamson
• Easter for Mystics
• Christmas for Mystics
• Nina Turner: “A Candidate Who Can Make An Enormous Difference”
• Progressive Perspectives on Nina Turner’s Election Loss
• Jim Naureckas: Quote of the Day – October 26, 2022
Post a Comment