Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Gunnedah (Part III)

Here is the third of four posts containing photos and commentaries from my recent visit to Gunnedah, my Australian hometown.


Above: With my Aunt Ruth, (mum’s younger sister) and Suzy – Sunday, September 24, 2006.



Above: My mother, Margaret (center) stands with her elder half-sister Fay and younger sister Ruth – Sunday, September 24, 2006.

The white dove in the background belonged to their mother (and my grandmother), Olive Sparkes (1906-1997).




Above: Fay, Margaret, and Ruth pose with other family members at the wedding of their cousin, Helen Millerd, in 1960. From left: Olive Sparkes (the sisters’ mother); Valentine Sparkes (Margaret and Ruth’s father, and Fay’s step father), Fay and her husband Bert, my mum, Margaret, and my dad, Gordon; Ruth; and Michael (Margaret and Ruth’s brother, and Fay’s half-brother).



Above: My maternal grandparents, Valentine and Olive Sparkes, with their youngest daughter, Ruth, at her graduation from the Royal Women's Hospital in Paddington, Sydney, in 1968.



Above: Nanna Sparkes (1906-1997), photographed in December 1992.



Above: With my cousin Therese, one of Fay and Bert’s four children – Saturday, September 23, 2006.



Above: With Ruth (holding Suzy), her daughter (and my cousin) Emily, Emily’s friend Matt, and a young neighbourhood friend of Ruth’s – Sunday, September 24, 2006.



Above: With Ruth and little Suzy – Christmas 2000.



Above: Ruth’s husband, Rex, sadly passed away in March of this year. In this photograph from Christmas 2000, he stands between my brothers (from left) Tim and Chris. Seated is Rex and Ruth’s son, Greg.



Above: Greg, Ruth, me (holding Suzy), Fay, and Mum - April 2003.

NEXT: Gunnedah (Part IV)



See also the Wild Reed posts:
Gunnedah (Part I)
Gunnedah (Part II)
One of These Boys . . .
A Lesson from Play School
Catholic Rainbow (Australian) Parents
The Bayly Family - July 2006 (Part I)
The Bayly Family - JUly 2006 (Part II)
The Bayly Family - July 2006 (Part III)
My Brother, the Drummer
Like Father, Like Daughter
A Rabbit’s Tale
Remembering Nanna Smith


No comments: