Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Somalia Bound


My saaxiib qurux badan – “beautiful friend” – Adnan is Somalia bound tomorrow.

For how long he will be away, neither of us know. What I do know is that I will greatly miss him and our shared times together.

Aware that he will soon be gone, Adnan and I have made sure that these shared times have been numerous of late. And we’ve attempted to make them as memorable and happy as possible so that they may be keepsakes of joy and companionship to sustain us in the months – perhaps years – of separation ahead.



Above and left: On Wednesday, June 19 Adnan and I explored the area of urban wilderness around the Winchell Trail, a largely unpaved trail that winds about 2.5 miles along the west bank of the Mississippi River from Franklin Avenue to Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis.





Above and right: At Can-Can Wonderland in St. Paul – Saturday, July 13, 2019.



Above: Adnan – Sunday, July 14, 2019.



Above: A filter-treated portrait of Adnan. We were at Fasika, an award-winning Ethiopian restaurant in Saint Paul – Monday, July 15, 2019.





Above, right and below: Adnan earlier this evening in my south Minneapolis attic abode on Chicago Ave., on the eve of his departure to Somalia.



Whatever you want me to do
I will do it for you
Whatever you want me to be
I will be what you need

Because it’s love that I feel
whenever you’re really here
I’m feeling sensual
I can’t rely on myself,
I’m wanting you and no one else
You’ve got me wrapped up
Wherever you are, I know it’s for real

I know you’ve had pains in your heart
That have torn you apart
I know you’ve been safe on your own
But together we’re strong
And deep in my heart, I know that it’s real

Because it’s love that I feel
whenever you’re close to me
I’m feeling passionate
And I can’t deny it in myself,
I’m wanting you and no one else
You’ve got the power

– From “Whatever You Want
by Arthur Baker, Taylor Dayne and Frederick Zarr
(performed by Tina Turner on her
1996 album, Wildest Dreams)




NEXT: Family Time in Guruk
. . . and Glimpses of Somaliland



See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Saaxiib Qurux Badan, 3/29/2019
Saaxiib Qurux Badan, 4/16/2019
Saaxiib Qurux Badan, 7/14/2019
In This In-Between Time . . .
Adnan Amidst Mississippi Reflections and Forest Green
Adnan with Sunset Reflections and Jet Trail

Images: Michael J. Bayly.


No comments: