Saturday, March 12, 2011

Catholic Dad: "My Gay Son and His Partner are Made in the Likeness and Image of God"

Brian Cahill (pictured at right with San Francisco Archbishop George H. Niederauer) is the former executive director of Catholic Charities in San Francisco. He has an op-ed in today's San Francisco Chronicle, from which the following is excerpted.


I am a Catholic who . . . is sustained by regular Mass, scripture and prayer. I am also the father of a gay son, from whom I was slow to learn how painful, debilitating and denigrating are the constant legal and social reminders that he and those like him are not fully accepted members of the human community.

In their statement supporting Prop. 8, the California Catholic Bishops declared that marriage is "intrinsic to stable, flourishing and hospitable societies." Ironically, this is one of the compelling reasons gay and lesbian couples wish to be joined in civil marriages. They are seeking a structure and context for their love, commitment, fidelity and mutual support.

. . . I know that my son and his partner are made in the image and likeness of God. They are not perfect, but they are brilliant, creative, personable and moral. They are certainly not objectively disordered. I know, as do many fathers, mothers, grandparents, sisters, brothers, friends, neighbors, co-workers and fellow parishioners of gay and lesbian individuals and couples, that the relationship, the love, the friendship, the personal association, the proximity, put a human face on this issue and let us see that in the context of the human spirit, none of us are different and none of us should be anything less than fully accepted members of our human community.

– Brian Cahill
"My Gay Son: The Face of Church's Lack of Respect"
The San Francisco Chronicle
March 12, 2011




See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Voices of Parental Authority and Wisdom
A Parent's Prayer
Catholic Rainbow (Australian) Parents
The Bishops' "Guidelines": A Parent's Response
Grandma Knows Best
A Cradle Catholic's Case for Same-Sex Marriage
A Catholic Statement of Support for Same-Sex Marriage
Catholic Theologian: Heterosexism, Not Homosexuality, is the Problem
The Triumph of Love: An Easter Reflection
The Gifts of Homosexuality
LGBT Catholics Celebrate Being "Wonderfully Made"
Getting It Right


3 comments:

Mareczku said...

Thank you for sharing this, Michael. I read the whole article. I do read different news sources and some of the comments from conservatives that consider homosexuality to be sinful are eye-opening and sobering. Until a few years ago, I must say that I didn't realize that such hateful views existed in our Church.

Mareczku said...

I also read about this today on California Catholic Daily. Some of the comments were sobering to say the least. I always tell myself that I am going to keep quiet there but I end up commenting anyway.

Fran said...

My life has been a bit chaotic lately due to a family health crisis, so I am way behind in my reading. I am so grateful to encounter this moving link. Thank you.