Monday, April 08, 2024

Quote of the Day

As a transwoman, I am told by [the new Vatican document, “Dignitas Infinita: On Human Dignity”] that I am playing God and misapplying my moral freedom. This is not the reality of my life. My journey to self-acceptance was through realizing my self-worth as God’s creation. My choice to transition and affirm my gender was rooted in my search for existential dignity and social dignity.

This document classifies my identification as “determining one’s identity and future independently of others, without regard for one’s membership in the human community.” This could be nothing further from my truth. I made one choice and that was to live. This choice has let me continue my membership in this living human community. For a document that condemns the death penalty, I can’t help but mourn the irony of church leaders wanting to doom me and others like me to a life headed toward a serious mental health crisis instead of affording me the moral dignity to find my truth as reflected in the diversity of love God’s image holds.

I wish the Vatican would see my inalienable dignity and move with respect and love for us transgender and non-binary folks.



Related Off-site Links:
Vatican Condemns Surrogacy, Gender-Affirming Surgery, and Gender Theory in New Doctrinal Note – Christopher White (National Catholic Reporter, April 8, 2024).
Vatican Document on Human Dignity Fails LGBTQ+ People – Francis DeBernardo (New Ways Ministry, April 8, 2024).
The Strawman of “Gender Theory” in the Vatican’s New Document – Fr. Daniel Horan (New Ways Ministry, April 8, 2024).
A Letter to Catholics About the Vatican’s “Dignitas Infinita” (“On Human Dignity”): We Are With You – The Board and Staff of DignityUSA (April 8, 2024).

UPDATES: New Vatican Document Condemns Gender Transitions and Undefined “Gender Theory” – Robert Shine (New Ways Ministry, April 9, 2024).
What Transgender Catholics and Their Allies Are Saying About “Dignitas Infinita” – Robert Shine (Bondings 2.0, April 10, 2024).
“A Painful Lack of Understanding”: Theologians Respond to Vatican’s Latest Declaration – Brian Flanagan (New Ways Ministry, April 11, 2024).
Gender Identity Should Be on Synod Agenda – And It Is Now, Writes Paul Elie – Robert Shine (New Ways Ministry, April 15, 2024).

See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Angela Kade Goepferd on the “Manufactured Controversy” Targeting Gender-Affirming Care
The Bigger Box of Crayons We All Deserve
Transgender in America Today
Accounting for the Backlash
Celebrating Every Body
Three Radical (Religious) Ideas for Queer Liberation
Gabbi Pierce on the “Evolution of Gender”
Judith Butler on the Reactionary Movement and Fascist Trend Opposed to Diverse Ideas About Gender
Francis DeBernardo: Quote of the Day – September 21, 2016
Terry Weldon: Quote of the Day – August 20, 2015
Samantha Allen: Quote of the Day – August 14, 2015
Catholics Recognize and Celebrate the Truth of Transgender People: “Their Quest for Authenticity Is a Quest for Holiness”
Lisa Leff on Five Things to Know About Transgender People
Trans 101
Putting a Human Face on the “T” of “GLBT”
Shannon Kearns’ Transgender Day of Remembrance Message: “We Are Beloved Children of the Universe”
Beyond the Hierarchy: The Blossoming of Liberating Catholic Insights on Sexuality
When “Guidelines” Lack Guidance

Image: Maddie Marlett proclaiming the Gospel and delivering the homily at Dignity/New York’s 2023 annual Pride Liturgy at St. John’s in the Village Church, West Village, NY.


No comments: