Friday, May 15, 2009

Wall of Voodoo's "Far Side of Crazy"

It’s Friday night and you know what that means at The Wild Reed . . . Yes, Music Night!

Let me start by saying that, yes, the lyrics of tonight’s highlighted song, Wall of Voodoo’s “Far Side of Crazy,” are rather disturbing (though, of course, that’s not really surprising given that they explore the twisted mind of John Hinckley, Jr.). Yet I also have to say that I’ve always found it, musically, a kick-ass song (and reminiscent of a cool 1960s spaghetti western soundtrack of Ennio Morricone!) And as for lead singer Andy Prieboy . . . well, he’s just as hot as mustard, in my humble opinion!

Notice too the creepy surrealness of the music video for “Far Side of Crazy.” Again, not surprising given the song’s lyrics. Actually, the video has an almost David Lynch-esque quality – what with the little old dancing lady toward the end and the presence of a rather sinister-looking clown throughout.

Although “Far Side of Crazy” (from Wall of Voodoo’s 1985 album, Seven Days in Sammystown) failed to chart in the U.S., it was very popular in Australia. I can remember it receiving extensive airplay during my college years in both Armidale (1984-86) and Canberra (1987). I even bought it as a 45 rpm! Remember those? Anyway, Wikipedia notes that the song is still heard today on the popular Austereo Triple M network.

So here for this evening’s Wild Reed Friday Night Music Spot is Wall of Voodoo with “Far Side of Crazy.” Enjoy!




I’m Pilate and Jesus
And I wept when Lennon died
Yet I envied his assailant
When I visited the shrine
I cried for all those Beatle fans
So old so quick they grow
I follow the example to destroy
What I love most

And I remain on the far side of crazy
I remain the mortal enemy of man
No hundred dollar cure will save me
Can’t stay a boy in no man’s land

I once hid my lust for stardom
Like a filthy magazine
I stroked the shaft of my guitar
And watched you on the screen
I've become now what I wanted
To be all along
A psychopathic poet
The Devil’s bastard son

And I remain on the far side of crazy
I remain the mortal enemy of man
No hundred dollar cure will save me
Can’t stay a boy in no man’s land

I shot an actor for an actress
But he lived to make a joke
Shot two other men who could have been
The bodies of my folks
I stagger toward the future
I stagger day to day
Plot revenge inside of darkness
I am withering in pain

And I remain on the far side of crazy
I remain the mortal enemy of man
No hundred dollar cure will save me
Can’t stay a boy in no man’s land



A recent photo of Andy Prieboy: Yes, still hot.


Previous artists featured for “Music Night at the Wild Reed” include:
Stephen “Tin Tin” Duffy, Pink Floyd, Kate Ceberano, Judith Durham, Wendy Matthews, Buffy Sainte-Marie, 1927, Mavis Staples, Maxwell, Joan Baez, Tee Set, Darren Hayes, Wet, Wet, Wet, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Cruel Sea, Shirley Bassey, Loretta Lynn & Jack White, Foo Fighters, Jenny Morris, Kate Bush, Rufus Wainwright, and Dusty Springfield.


1 comment:

Davoid said...

Hey,
I first heard about this song whilst watching Countdown (Australian music show) in 1986. The host Molly Meldrum played a short excerpt from the music video.
Like you, I also bought the 45rpm single not long after. I always liked this song, and it still sounds great today. I have it in my favourites collection playlist.
Because of the reference to Lennon in the lyrics, I thought it was about Mark Chapman, but there's also Hinckley as well.
The WikiPedia listing for this songs says the lyrics:

I remain on the far side of crazy
I remain the mortal enemy of man

were in a poem that Hinckley wrote.
The lyrics are very well done; thanks Andy Prieboy.
His other big song in Australia was "Tomorrow Wendy" featuring Johnette Napolitano from Concrete Blonde. A different version appears on Concrete Blonde's album Bloodletting from 1990.
The original singer of Wall Of Voodoo, Stan Ridgway release a solo album called The Big Heat in 1986. Check it out.