Thursday, December 03, 2009

Christmas Baubles


Bauble (noun)

1. A showy, usually cheap, ornament; trinket; gewgaw.
2. a jester’s scepter.


I recently brought my Christmas Tree up from the basement. It stays assembled all year in the darkened depths of my home. It’s not decorated, of course. All my garlands of tinsel and shiny baubles are neatly stored away in a nearby box.

I must say I love the more “vintage”-type baubles. They remind me of the Christmases of my childhood in Gunnedah, Australia – and especially of how my brothers and I would assemble and decorate Nanna Smith’s tree.

Anyway, following are some images of the decorations on my tree here in St. Paul, Minnesota. Each year I seem to find one or two more vintage-type ornaments – though I’m yet to find a star that I really like!






See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Out and About - December 2007
Out and About - November 2008
Out and About - November 2009

Images: Michael J. Bayly.

3 comments:

Mareczku said...

Thanks for the nice pictures of your tree and ornaments. You are very efficient having your tree up already.

Michael J. Bayly said...

Hi Mark,

I'm actually leaving for Australia for two months on December 13, so I wanted to enjoy my tree and its decorations for at least a while before I go!

Peace,

Michael

Mareczku said...

That is great, Michael. How wonderful it will be to spend the holidays with your family. Plus you get 2 more months of summer. It will be a lot warmer than Minneapolis-St Paul that is for sure.