Friday, August 13, 2021

When Wendy Walked Away


This evening for “music night” at The Wild Reed I share another song by Canadian-born Australian singer-songwriter Wendy Matthews. You may recall that last month I shared the recently-released Sam Hawksley song “We All Need Love,” which features Wendy on lead vocals.

Tonight’s offering is the official music video for “Then I Walked Away,” a track from Wendy’s fourth solo studio album, 1997’s Ghosts.

Produced by Glenn Skinner and Wendy herself, Ghosts debuted and peaked at number 43 in Australia and was nominated for Best Adult Contemporary Album at the 1998 ARIA Music Awards. It lost out to Looking for Butter Boy by Archie Roach.

Written by Gary Clark and Eric Pressley, “Then I Walked Away” was released in May 1997 as the lead single from Ghosts, peaking at number 75 on the Australian charts.

The music video was filmed in Sydney and depicts Wendy as both a pet groomer and pet photographer, which shouldn’t come as a surprise given her great love of animals. Indeed, over the years Wendy has done a lot of advocating for animal rights, including campaigning against “puppy mills” and similar cruel and exploitative practices.

In terms of the song’s message, “Then I Walked Away” is all about the good things that can be gained when we walk away from a relatinship that, for whatever reason, has become dysfunctional and inauthentic. In fact, the song could serve as the musical companion piece to Bianca Sparacino’s beautiful and powerful article, “You Cannot Love Someone Into Their Potential,” an excerpt from which can be found here at The Wild Reed.

Heavy stuff, I know. . . . Yet the song’s video also has a delightfully fun side, as you’ll see!




Nobody feels like I do
I’ve been walking, walking in the shadows of you
I tried pushing, I tried shoving
I tried hating you, I even tried loving you

And then I walked away and it felt so good
When I walked away
Then I walked away and it felt so good
Like you never thought I would

Nobody feels like I do
I’ve been faking too long for you
I tried shouting, I tried screaming
I tried praying but I was dreaming

And then I walked away and it felt so good
When I walked away
Then I walked away and it felt so good
Like you never thought I would.




Here’s Trevor Mobbs’ 2014 Amazon review of Ghosts:

As a long-time admirer of Wendy Matthews, my personal feeling is that this is her best work, even though it was not her most commercially successful album here in Australia.

I think a major reason for the quality of this album is that it is more integrated than usual. Matthews has primarily spent her career interpreting other people’s songs, with some co-writing, but here the majority of the album is written by herself and Glenn Skinner. The result is more stylistically, thematically and emotionally coherent. There are no weak spots, with all thirteen songs contributing to the satisfying effect of the whole.

I enjoy all of the Wendy Matthews’ albums, but this is the one I most often reach for. After many years of listening I’ve yet to grow tired of it.




Since 1997’s Ghosts, Wendy has released four albums: Beautiful View (2001), Café Naturale (2004), She (2008), and The Welcome Fire (2013).

She’s also recorded a duet with Australian country music star Adam Harvey and steadily toured and performed across Australia, most recently with pop/jazz vocalist Grace Knight (right).

In closing, here’s a wonderful interview with Wendy from June 2020, at a time when many areas of Australia were in initial lockdown due to the global coronavirus pandemic. Enjoy!





For more of Wendy Matthews at The Wild Reed, see:
A Welcome Return
Beautiful View
Nobody But You
Standing Strong
Like the Sun
Wendy Matthews
We All Need Love

Related Off-site Link:
Wendy Matthews Shares Live Tapes for Support Act’s Roadies FundThe Music Network (May 7, 2021).

Previously featured musicians at The Wild Reed:
Dusty Springfield | David Bowie | Kate Bush | Maxwell | Buffy Sainte-Marie | Prince | Frank Ocean | Maria Callas | Loreena McKennitt | Rosanne Cash | Petula Clark | Wendy Matthews | Darren Hayes | Jenny Morris | Gil Scott-Heron | Shirley Bassey | Rufus Wainwright | Kiki Dee | Suede | Marianne Faithfull | Dionne Warwick | Seal | Sam Sparro | Wanda Jackson | Engelbert Humperdinck | Pink Floyd | Carl Anderson | The Church | Enrique Iglesias | Yvonne Elliman | Lenny Kravitz | Helen Reddy | Stephen Gately | Judith Durham | Nat King Cole | Emmylou Harris | Bobbie Gentry | Russell Elliot | BØRNS | Hozier | Enigma | Moby (featuring the Banks Brothers) | Cat Stevens | Chrissy Amphlett | Jon Stevens | Nada Surf | Tom Goss (featuring Matt Alber) | Autoheart | Scissor Sisters | Mavis Staples | Claude Chalhoub | Cass Elliot | Duffy | The Cruel Sea | Wall of Voodoo | Loretta Lynn and Jack White | Foo Fighters | 1927 | Kate Ceberano | Tee Set | Joan Baez | Wet, Wet, Wet | Stephen “Tin Tin” Duffy | Fleetwood Mac | Jane Clifton | Australian Crawl | Pet Shop Boys | Marty Rhone | Josef Salvat | Kiki Dee and Carmelo Luggeri | Aquilo | The Breeders | Tony Enos | Tupac Shakur | Nakhane Touré | Al Green | Donald Glover/Childish Gambino | Josh Garrels | Stromae | Damiyr Shuford | Vaudou Game | Yotha Yindi and The Treaty Project | Lil Nas X | Daby Touré | Sheku Kanneh-Mason | Susan Boyle | D’Angelo | Little Richard | Black Pumas | Mbemba Diebaté | Judie Tzuke | Seckou Keita | Rahsaan Patterson | Black | Ash Dargan


No comments: