Saturday, January 01, 2022

Shining On . . . Into the New Year

Heaven’s on the inside,
That is what I find.
. . . We are never far,
I am a native of your heart.
Light is who you are,
You love me like the stars above.
Never giving up on me,
Shining your light on me.
I’m where I’m supposed to be.


Something special for New Year’s Eve at The Wild Reed. . . . It’s the video of the live version of “Shine On” by Luke James (left). It’s a beautiful performance, one that also features Miami’s Nu Deco Ensemble, musician Sensei Bueno, and guest vocalist Samoht.

I realized the other day that I've been drawn to the imagery of light quite a bit recently. That’s because lately I’ve been seeking to focus very intentionally on the sacred or divine source (the “cosmic consciousness,” some might say) that is both within and beyond me. In my view, the connecting to and living from one’s deepest, truest Self, requires an openness to and relationship with this divine source, one which many people refer to as “God,” and which since ancient times, and across religions and cultures, has been symbolized by light.


You know, when I meditate for five minutes every morning at my prayer shrine, I trust that I am aligning my inner divine light (my deepest, truest Self) with the “Living Light” (yet another name for the divine source) which is ulimately beyond me and which infuses all of creation.

With the awareness that I am both aligned with and an embodiment of the sacred, that I am, in other words, with and of the Living Light, I am ready (blessed, if you will) to go out and shine this transforming light upon others through my words and actions, and even my “sweet intentions.” I trust that my “shining on” helps bring balance, healing, peace, and love to the world, and that it cannot but help encourage others to get in touch with and live from (to whatever extent they’re able) their inner light; their source of and connection to the divine. They too can then choose to “shine on,” and in doing so, spread the light ever further.


Friends, may our living as one with the Living Light
and our unique ways of “shining on,”
transform us and the world in 2022!





Baby, you’re God’s sign
Heaven’s on the inside
That is what I find
Whenever I wait, collide
You’re my beam of light

Shine on me
Shine on
And wash away my darkest days
Shine on me
Shine on

We are never far
I am a native of your heart
Light is who you are
You love me like the stars above
Never giving up on me
Shining your light on me
I’m where I’m supposed to be

When you
Oh, when you
Shine on
Shine on me
All over me

Shine your light on me
Shine on me, yeah



Following is D-Money’s Soul Bounce review of “Shine On.”

Luke James has an undeniable talent, and his live shows are not to be missed. However, more than a year of living through this pandemic has all of us yearning for live experiences that may or may not occur depending on how things go down in the coming weeks. Luke wasn’t going to leave us hanging, though, retooling songs from his to feel love/d [studio album] alongside Miami’s Nu Deco Ensemble for his new live album A Live Sensation. He’s also giving us a taste of the recently released project with a video for the live version of “Shine On.”

The song was already a standout on the 2020 release, but this live version shows exactly why Luke is a musical beast. Assisted by the orchestral ensemble and musician Sensei Bueno, the song takes on a form reminiscent of the innovative and musically rich soul sound of the ’70s. The crooner reminds us of a Let’s Get It On era Marvin Gaye here, but he gives us even more by inviting fellow singer Samoht [right] into the fold, turning the track into a duet as both powerhouse singers milk every ounce of emotion from the song in the empty concert hall the visual was filmed in.

It all ends with Luke sitting at the keys to play while he and Samoht sweetly ad-libs against the soft sound of strings before the clip fades to black.

“Shine On” is but one of nine tracks that get made over on A Live Sensation, with each gaining a new life and perspective with their reimaginings.



See also the precious Wild Reed posts:
Aligning With the Living Light
The Light Within
The Most Sacred and Simple Mystery of All
The Source Is Within You
I Need Do Nothing . . . I Am Open to the Living Light
Chadwick Boseman and That “Heavenly Light”
Like the Sun

See also:
Carrying It On . . . Into the New Year (2021)
Jane Fonda on the “Eye-opening, Vision-improving Year” That Was 2020
A Blessing for the New Year (2020)
A Blessing for the New Year (2019)
Jane Goodall's New Year Message (2018)
A New Year (2017)
Move Us, Loving God
Andrew Harvey on Radical, Divine Passion in Action
For 2015, Three “Generous Promises”
Threshold Musings (2013)
A Song and Challenge for 2012

Previously featured musicians at The Wild Reed:
Dusty Springfield | David Bowie | Kate Bush | Maxwell | Buffy Sainte-Marie | Prince | Frank Ocean | Maria Callas | Loreena McKennitt | Rosanne Cash | Petula Clark | Wendy Matthews | Darren Hayes | Jenny Morris | Gil Scott-Heron | Shirley Bassey | Rufus Wainwright | Kiki Dee | Suede | Marianne Faithfull | Dionne Warwick | Seal | Sam Sparro | Wanda Jackson | Engelbert Humperdinck | Pink Floyd | Carl Anderson | The Church | Enrique Iglesias | Yvonne Elliman | Lenny Kravitz | Helen Reddy | Stephen Gately | Judith Durham | Nat King Cole | Emmylou Harris | Bobbie Gentry | Russell Elliot | BØRNS | Hozier | Enigma | Moby (featuring the Banks Brothers) | Cat Stevens | Chrissy Amphlett | Jon Stevens | Nada Surf | Tom Goss (featuring Matt Alber) | Autoheart | Scissor Sisters | Mavis Staples | Claude Chalhoub | Cass Elliot | Duffy | The Cruel Sea | Wall of Voodoo | Loretta Lynn and Jack White | Foo Fighters | 1927 | Kate Ceberano | Tee Set | Joan Baez | Wet, Wet, Wet | Stephen “Tin Tin” Duffy | Fleetwood Mac | Jane Clifton | Australian Crawl | Pet Shop Boys | Marty Rhone | Josef Salvat | Kiki Dee and Carmelo Luggeri | Aquilo | The Breeders | Tony Enos | Tupac Shakur | Nakhane Touré | Al Green | Donald Glover/Childish Gambino | Josh Garrels | Stromae | Damiyr Shuford | Vaudou Game | Yotha Yindi and The Treaty Project | Lil Nas X | Daby Touré | Sheku Kanneh-Mason | Susan Boyle | D’Angelo | Little Richard | Black Pumas | Mbemba Diebaté | Judie Tzuke | Seckou Keita | Rahsaan Patterson | Black | Ash Dargan | ABBA | The KLF and Tammy Wynette


No comments: