Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Quote of the Day

To Catholic youth: It does get better. I once thought that in order to live my life as an openly gay person, I would have to give up my faith. Now I know that I can be both proudly gay and devoutly Catholic. For every person in the church who says that being gay is wrong or LGBT rights aren’t rights at all, know that there are many more Catholics who will love and support you for who you are. I found my Catholic home with organizations like Call To Action and Dignity USA who are provide a safe and welcoming place for gay Catholics – for any Catholics – to express our faith. I know that you will find your place in and out of the church.

To all Catholics: Yes, it does get better for LGBT Catholic youth, but please know that we have the power to make it great. The teachings of the church hierarchy on homosexuality do not reflect the values and beliefs of the vast majority of Catholics. Standing together, we can create a church that is truly welcoming of all people. We can create a safe space for Catholic youth to explore their faith and their sexuality. We can create lasting change in a world and a church that so badly needs it. We can make life great.

– Kate Childs Graham
A Letter to LGBT Catholics: It Gets Better
National Catholic Reporter
October 19, 2010



See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Shifting the Focus to the Real Issues . . . Live on Fox News!
Pastor Mike Tegeder Challenges Archbishop John Nienstedt's "Bullying Behavior"


2 comments:

Deb said...

"The teachings of the church hierarchy on homosexuality do not reflect the values and beliefs of the vast majority of Catholics."

This is so true! If only there was some way to be heard in our Church. After all, faith and moral teaching has to based on the sense of the faithful as well as the Holy Father and the bishops.

But how is the "sense of the faithful" institutionally expressed? How can the people be heard, if there is no structural vehicle, no organizational body, that exists to present the people's thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Does this person mean "I didn't give up my faith because I never believed in it in the first place?"